The expansive sandy beaches of Oregon’s North Coast lend themselves to an unforgettable day of fascinating exploration for those wishing to become immersed in the off-shore charm granted by the beloved communities that speckle the landscape. One of the most renowned locales near Seaside, Oregon, is the famed Gearhart Beach, known for its spacious beachfront, weathered driftwood, delicious clams, and coveted sand dollars.
Considerably less crowded than some of the nearby beaches, Gearhart offers approximately eight miles of sandy coastline. Gearhart by the Sea, an elegant oceanside resort with a dynamic assortment of rental properties, offers unfettered access to this local treasure by way of a sandy trail that passes through tallgrass dunes to a seemingly endless paradise on the Oregon Coast. To help give you some ideas on how to spend your days in the sand, we put together a quick guide to Gearhart Beach and ways to occupy your time.
Oregon Beach Vacations
If arriving from Highlands Lane, you’ll be allowed motorized access, meaning you can drive onto the beach and drive as far north as Warrenton! If you don’t feel comfortable taking your rig out on the sand, you can access Gearhart Beach from the Pacific Way entrance, where you’ll have access to restrooms, basketball and tennis courts, and picnic areas. From kite flying to volleyball (bring your nets), visitors to Gearhart quickly learn that there are a myriad of outdoor recreational activities to be had on this sprawling section of the Oregon Coast.
A Day at Gearhart Beach: Things to Do near Seaside, Oregon
Gearhart Beach plays such a pivotal role in the local leisure and recreation scene, so it’s fitting that spending time on the coast is one of the most popular things to do in Seaside, Oregon. Here is a handy list of Gearhart Beach activities enjoyed by locals and travelers alike.
- On windy days, many kite enthusiasts can show off their skills in a display of aerial acrobatics. Under the Big Top Toy Shop, the local toy store, has a selection of kites for purchase, among other novelties.
- Seaside, Oregon, offers some of the best surfing in the Northwest. Check out Seaside Surf Shop for boards and accessories.
- Wildlife viewing is a common pastime at Gearhart Beach as there is an abundance of fauna that inhabit the beach from birds to whales. Head south to the Necanicum River estuary—be sure to bring your camera!
- Midsummer marks the end of the clamming season, so depending on when you arrive, you may be able to dig for your dinner. You can find license and regulation information on the Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife website.
- Take a note from the Seaside High School cross country team who regularly trains here, by going for a light jog as the sun rises or sets.
- Gearhart Beach is possibly best known for its high volume of sand dollars that can be found during the mornings low-tides. Go out with a bucket and collect some souvenirs provided by Mother Nature!
- Build a fire on the beach right before sunset to enjoy a picturesque view of the Pacific Ocean. Be sure to use precaution when starting fires, and keep in mind that the use of driftwood is prohibited.
- Take a stroll north to rediscover the Peter Iredale, an eroding shipwreck that you can see during the low tide.
Oregon Coast Vacation Rentals
There’s something to be said about heading to the beach with no real agenda and a few general ideas in mind. The carefree nature associated with beach life makes for a relaxing mindset perfect for any type of Oregon Coast vacation. Whether you are a romantic couple seeking a quiet retreat or a family looking for their new favorite escape, Gearhart by the Sea has an ideal property waiting to be your home away from home. For more information on our facilities and reservations, please visit us online or call 800-547-0115.